Land Acknowledgement

The treaty encompassing Guelph is called ‘Between the Lakes Purchase’. 3 million acres were acquired by the Crown from the Mississaugas in 1784 (Union Ontario Indians, 2013). The original or pre-contact inhabitants of the land along both sides of the Great River (St Lawrence) and the Great Lakes, were the Anishinaabeg. The eco-region in this immediate area was stewarded by the Attawandron, Neutrals, Huron, Wendat, Michi Saagiig (which the British understood as Mississauga in English) and other Anishinaabe Nations.